One of the most important things you can do to optimize your LinkedIn profile is to personalize your LinkedIn URL. Creating a personalized LinkedIn URL allows you to enhance your personal brand and is particularly helpful to use on your resume. Resumes have limitations on the type and depth of information you can offer, so include your LinkedIn URL to that employers have the opportunity to learn more about you through recommendations, skills, endorsements, and other information on your LinkedIn profile.
When you set up your profile on LinkedIn, you’re given a LinkedIn ID by default that may look like this:
Changing your temporary LinkedIn ID to a personalized one takes only a few clicks of a button.
Here are the steps you need to take to personalize your LinkedIn URL:
- Sign into LinkedIn and select Edit Your Profile.
- At the bottom of your profile box you should see your LinkedIn ID.
- Click on Edit next to the temporary ID.
- This should open a box to the right of the screen called Customize Your Public Profile. Under it, there is a box for Your public profile URL.
- Select Customize your public profile. Now you can enter how you want your permanent LinkedIn ID to appear. It may be your name or some variant related to your profession or field of work.
- Click Set Custom URL.
You now have a customized LinkedIn URL that can be used to further promote your experience, knowledge and skills for job opportunities.
Keep in mind when creating your permanent LinkedIn ID that it should be something timeless. Your name is a safe bet and you likely won’t make changes to it in the future. If you have a common name, try to add something that defines you, like “JameSmithJobExpert.”
While you are allowed to change your LinkedIn URL at any time, LinkedIn will not redirect anyone clicking on the old URL. Be sure to update with your new URL.
When you’re done personalizing your LinkedIn URL, be sure to connect with me on LinkedIn!