What qualities make a strong leader? In one leadership study, qualities such as assertiveness, adaptability, intelligence and conscientiousness were cited as most important.
So how can you embrace these characteristics and become a better leader? Consider the following tips:
- Learn More About Your Leadership Style – Understanding your current leadership style is crucial. What are your strengths? Weaknesses? Take this leadership style quiz to asses your skills. Once you’ve determined areas that need some work, you can begin looking for ways to improve your leadership abilities.
- Serve as a Role Model – Transformational leaders exemplify the behaviors and characteristics that they encourage in their followers. In other words, walk the walk and talk the talk. Work on modeling qualities that you would like to see in your team members to become a better leader.
- Listen and Communicate Effectively – Good leaders should express sincere care and concern for the members of their group both verbally and non-verbally. Keeping the lines of communication open ensures that group members feel able to make contributions.
- Have a Positive Attitude – Have an upbeat, optimistic attitude to be a source of inspiration for your followers. Even when things look bleak, try to stay positive.
- Motivate Your Followers – Inspirational motivation encourages followers to get into action. Being inspirational isn’t always easy but try being passionate about ideas, offering recognition and rewarding accomplishments.
What characteristics do you admire in great leaders?